Shoplifting, robberies – Kamloops RCMP working to help stop crime before it starts
2021-02-09 07:05 PST
While lights and sirens may catch the eye of people passing by, the Kamloops RCMP works hard to stop some of those crimes from ever happening.
Throughout January, the Kamloops RCMP Detachment’s Crime Prevention Unit reached out to 83 businesses to provide them with important information on how to help keep their employees, merchandise, and property safe.
Click to view larger image.
In January we saw a number of media advisories asking the public for help in identifying theft suspects, said Corporal Dana Napier of the Crime Prevention Unit.
While that was happening, our team was out connecting with local businesses and offering them supports, such as our Business Watch Program.
The Business Watch Program is a partnership program between the City of Kamloops, RCMP, and local businesses to help reduce the threat of crime and enhance a sense of safety and security. The program aims to develop an environment where crime cannot flourish in businesses and shopping districts.
While January saw the Crime Prevention team proactively focus on businesses in the downtown core and lower Sahali area, all businesses are invited to take advantage of the services available, including:
- Safety Analysis, which includes a site examination and recommendations on improvements and or training to reduce the likelihood of being victimized by crime;
- Training for you and your staff on:
- Shoplifting prevention
- Robbery prevention
- Fraud and scam prevention
- Counterfeit currency identification
- How and when to report a crime
- Operation Identification: marking equipment, machines, and other valuables with traceable identification for deterrence and tracing.
To request Crime Prevention Services:
- Submit an online request through the City of Kamloops Crime Prevention website www.Kamloops.ca/CrimePrevention
- Call the North Shore Community Policing office at 250-376-5099
- Attend the North Shore office in person and ask to speak with a Community Services Support Liaison
- Request a referral from a police officer
- Email Kamloops_crime_prevention@rcmp-grc.gc.ca
Cst. Crystal EvelynMedia Relations Officer
560 Battle Street, Kamloops, BC V2C 6N4
- Date modified: